Tyndale’s Pipersville, PA Locations Now Landfill Free!
Tyndale is pleased to announce that our headquarters and distribution center in Pipersville, PA are now Landfill Free facilities, as certified by Sustainable Waste Solutions (SWS). SWS is the leading provider of environmentally-friendly commercial and industrial waste handling solutions throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley and Delaware.
This certification means that all waste generated by Tyndale at these locations is reused, recycled or processed as a renewable fuel at an Energy-from-Waste (EfW) facility.
Now, Tyndale’s waste from these locations is used to generate more than 1,963 kilowatt hours of renewable energy—saving more than 3.5 barrels of oil—each month!
To support this transition, Tyndale has switched to single stream recycling.
What is Single Stream Recycling?
Single stream recycling refers to a system where all recyclable products are mixed together in the collection process, as opposed to separated or sorted by material type (i.e. plastic, cans, paper, glass, etc.) prior to collection. There are several advantages for this type of recycling:
- Employees at Tyndale no longer need to worry about which type of materials go where, thereby:
- reducing the sorting effort;
- increasing employee participation; and
- increasing the amount of material recycled.
- Single stream recycling makes it almost as easy to use the recycling bin as it is to use the trash can, so there’s really no excuse for not recycling!
- Single-compartment recycling collection trucks are cheaper to source and operate, thereby decreasing collection costs and more efficiently serving collection routes (1).
- Single stream recycling helps keep recyclable material out of landfills, allowing remanufacturing companies to purchase recyclable materials in good, clean condition to be reused.
Single stream recycling is a step Tyndale has chosen to take toward responsible resource conservation!
Tyndale’s Go-Green Initiative
In addition to becoming landfill free, Tyndale has made strides in recent years toward becoming a greener company. In 2010, Tyndale’s Green Task force instituted a company-wide Environmental Policy as follows:
At Tyndale, we believe that responsible stewardship of our environment is an integral function of our place in the business community. We rely on each employee at Tyndale to take responsibility for making Tyndale a greener business. Our goal, simply stated, is to minimize our impact on the world around us. We perform this goal as follows:
- Measuring all of our stewardship efforts, as well as our waste accumulation, to work toward increasing progress
- Conserving natural resources
- Seeking out environmentally friendly products and services
- Implementing projects to help our employees understand and easily execute greener activities at work and at home
- Educating employees on specific actions to reduce, reuse, and recycle and instilling a sense of accountability
- Where required by legislation or where significant health, safety or environmental hazards exist, develop and maintain appropriate response programs,
- Communicate our environmental commitment to clients, customers and the public and encourage them to support it
Tyndale understands that as our company grows, like any company, so too does the amount of waste produced. We encourage and empower our employees to think and act “green,” and to support our Environmental Policy and related environmental objectives.
What This Means for You
By partnering with Tyndale for your managed safety apparel needs, you’re supporting a company doing its part to minimize its environmental footprint. We encourage our suppliers and business partners to take a proactive stance on the environmental impact of their own activities and adopt “green” practices.
To read more about Tyndale’s sustainability efforts, click here.
References for this post were accessed February 2015: